26 févr. 2011

How to find a job in the UK ?

A person told me before leaving that find a job in UK is as hard as understand their love for Pudding. I think now that it is very true, not because I hate pudding, but because I started to look for a job the 19th of January and I still have nothing. The main challenge concerning finding a job is to passed the trial. A trial is used by restaurants and bars to see if you have aptitudes and real experience. It lasts 2 / 3 hours maximum and is unpaid, obviously. 

We started firstly to give our CV and cover letter to every shops in the city center and near our home. Because I was with Axelle, we were giving CV each on a side of the road. The first day, I get a trial in a restaurant called Zizzi, italian restaurant very noisy but nice, where I went the next day to train. This experience was quite hard because there were no clients so I wasn't able to show my aptitudes... Nobody cares to me so I really didn't know what to do. I spent 2h30 there, and the boss finally told me to go home because there were not enough clients. He NEVER called me back, even to say that I wasn't the type of person they are looking for, even if I tried during my trial do to stuff to show them I can be very implicated in my job ! My first experience was based on a failure but I get another trial in a different restaurant two weeks ago. It is a Steakhouse (the boss is Greek) and I thought I passed to trial very well. I served japanese clients, they leave me tips (so I thought I was quite good waitress!!). So do him because the next day he told me I was hired but never called me back to come to work, even if I tried to called him. Yesterday, he TEXT ME to tell me how much he was sorry but his boss hired an experienced woman to work. What a deception ! 


I am still looking for a job but I have to remind you some facts that doesn't help us to find :

- People in Cambridge are looking for long term job (until september) because most students are leaving for the summer. Most shops are hiring now because they want the person to spend the summer with them, and this way, they won't have to fight to find someone. 

- Because the city is full of students and because every english students have only 8 hours class a week, there are not a lot of free jobs and it is very competitive ! 

- Most restaurants and bars wants experience... and I don't have any !

Instead all my efforts, I am now looking for an internship !

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire