14 mai 2011

A time to say goodbye

I handed out my assessments last weeks and I officially can say that my semester here is done. Concerning my life in Cambridge, this article will be the last (but not the least).

Let's focus on what I will never forget and what I would rather forget.

The Unforgettable :

- Student life: this is the main thing that I enjoyed in Cambridge because the city is only made of students which means a lot of fun and parties and student life. I really enjoyed living at the YMCA because I was living with a lot of student from all over the world (especially from Germany, BTW). It is reassuring to always meet someone in the corridor, H24, and live in a good ambiance. My roommates who I was sharing my kitchen and bathroom were very nice, fun, respectful and it was a real pleasure to live with them. I think that this experience will always be a bonus on my life because I learned to live with "strangers", in a un common accomodation for me, and I loved it! I realize that it was the real start of MY life! Also concerning student life, I enjoyed the night life in Cambridge and the every day life, the food shops are open late, a lot of shops are doing student discounts... Even if life is expensive here, it is adapted for students.


Louise and me


- Anglia Ruskin University : this University is not wonderful, is not incredible and high-level, but it is so different from what I am used to. At the start of my semester I did not realize the point of having 8h class per week, nothing to do home and only 4 assessments to hand out of 3 000 words. But, doing my essays, I realize that this solution was a pretty good one because I surprise myself being really focused on my subject. Actually, I already think that it is a good way of working because the student, to succeed, has to learn about its subject and to interest himself. I finally learned a lot without following a lot of classes. Moreover, I managed to like University student life but I still prefer the school athmosphere.

- Travels : I am completely keen on United Kingdom and I love travel in London, visit the Capital, Oxford and Edinburgh ! I am not sure that a lot of people take time to visit England, but because I was in Cambridge, I decided to know more about this country. I can say that Oxford and Cambridge are must-to-see cities, really, because it is a huge part of the history of England and a landmark over the World. The city of Edinburgh is also impressive and opened me concerning Scottish cultures. I understand the difference with England and Ireland. As a contrary as a lot of people can say, I think that the United Kingdom is very culturally rich.

- Cambridge University and its colleges : Of course, I cannot speak about unforgettable things without speaking about what fascinated me most during the last 4 months. This University is far enough the most beautiful and impressive I have ever seen. I did not know at all its story before coming here and be sure that I would have tried to study here if I had. The organisation of colleges, the athmosphere and the reputation of this University makes it a "out-of-time" world. Students there are smart, polite, well-educated and open-minded even if they know that their University is a very closed world.


A formal Dinner in Girton College


What I would rather forget :

- Weather : I was sure that in England, it is always raining but it is false : it never rains but it is never sunny. There are always clouds which makes our life very grey. We are in May and the temperatures are not exceeding 15 degres and the rumour says that in June : IT IS ALWAYS RAINING. What a wonderful country !

- Food: Of course, I am exagerating this point because even if I do not like English food, I feed myself during this semester and I manage to keep my french habits. What I would rather forget is that English are frying everything! And I am not keen on...

- English times: The English are eating their dinner at 6 pm and every restaurant closed around 10 pm. What a joke for us, french people ? The first time we wanted to have dinner at a regular hour (21h), a lot of restaurant were almost closing or were not serving anymore. Same thing, English student are going out around 10.30 pm because every nightclubs is closing at 3.00am. Same thing also for the pubs which are closing at midnight MAX.

The oldest and most famous Pub in Cambs - The Eagle


But, as you can read (and see), there are only a few forgettable things and of course, I do not really want to forget them because it was a huge part of my experience and I enjoyed my life here even these details. I can say that I really loved my stay here and I will miss this country and its students.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire